The body of Christopher Marks was found between 4:30 and 5 p.m. tonight at the Allenton boat ramp access near the dock, about six miles east of where Christopher was last seen, according to St. Louis County Police Officer Justin Sparks.
A crime scene unit was deployed to the Allenton access area, Sparks said.
Updated at 7:55 p.m. with confirmation that the body found is Christopher.
Authorities identified the body as Christopher Marks, per an advisory issued by St. Louis County Police Officer Rick Eckhard at 7:18 p.m. Eckhard stated everyone now must await the medical examiner's report before additional details can be released.
The body was reported to have been found by Todd Combs, Christopher’s stepfather. Christopher was at the river with about seven children, ranging in age from 12 to 16 years old, and Combs, when he disappeared.
Alcohol was present, and family said Christopher had been drinking.
St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch at a Tuesday afternoon press conference from the investigation site confirmed that police teams intended to pursue alcohol-related matters through the St. Louis Prosecuting Attorneys Office.
While it seems highly unlikely that the currents were fast enough to transport the body, police officers are still circling the air and trying to determine the speed of the currents.
Experts said the river's current near where Christopher was last seen was not very strong because of the lack of rain.
Police will do a reconstruction of events as part of the investigation, Sparks said.
The autopsy should show a time of death and possible other clues as to the cause of death. The time of death could help police understand whether the body was transported by water or by other means.
Patch is on the scene, and we will update the story as we learn more.
For more, here are the articles we've done so far, most recent last:
- Police Search for Missing Boy
- Police Search for Missing Affton 12-Year-Old Boy
- Video: Bloodhounds, Divers On Scene to Find Missing Affton Boy
- Search Continues for Missing Boy in Pacific, Lip Balm Found May Be His
- Mother of 'Missing' Christopher Marks Misses His Humor
- Christopher Marks' Mother Reacts to Son's Disappearance
- Christopher Marks Missing; Friends, Family Community Reacts Online
- Update: No Major New News on Christopher Marks
- Video: $5000 Reward for Information on Missing Christopher Marks
- Fresh Eyes, Dogs Brought in Tuesday to Search for Christopher Marks
- Christopher Marks' Family Told They May Be Able to Search Later
- Video: Police Describe Search and Rescue Efforts for Christopher Marks
- What's Next? Christopher Marks Investigation Wraps Up at Meramec River
- Police: No Clues in Missing Christopher Marks Case; Drowning Possible
See More on Patch
- Affton Men Nabbed Jewelry From South County Home, Police Say
- Stepfather Pleads Guilty to Suppling Alcohol to Boy Who Drowned in Meramec River
- Shrewsbury Police: Woman Arrested for Prostitution
- After Traffic Stop, Woman Tries to Knee Officer in the Groin
- Affton Carjacking, Lemay Child Abuse Are Among Top Police Stories