Tomorrow night should be interesting when Shrewsbury looks into giving Walmart a TIF to build on the location of the defunct Kenrick Plaza theater.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently talked to some small business owners:
“The largest corporation in the world — and they want a TIF,” said critic Susan Favazza, co-owner of a small business that she points out was launched with “no government handout, no government bailout and no assistance.”
Patch will be at tomorrow night's meeting to give you full coverage of the ongoing controversy. Will you be there?
Read more on Patch about the issues Shrewsbury has with redeveloping this area:
- Kenrick Redevelopment Project Stalled
- Commentary: Kenrick Redevelopment Shifts Tax Burden to the Poor
- Have Your Say: Shrewsbury TIF Hearing Reset for Nov. 30
- Wiecher Votes "No" on Kenrick Plaza Resolution
- Kenrick Developer Wants $20 Million in TIF Assistance
- Shrewsbury Offers Look at New Site Concept for Kenrick Redevelopment
- At Board Meeting, Many Shrewsbury Citizens Comment on Walmart Plan
- Anti-Walmart Candidate Dee Wiecher Wants Greater Transparency on Redevelopment